You have wings to fly

You have wings to fly
Make Your Own Wings to fly

Friday, April 5, 2013

Chiapas Mexico Trip 2013

Hello Everyone!

27 days till I come home! Not counting down or anything like that.... :) We come home May 2 for any of those of you who are wondering. I love Mexico but I am so excited to see my family and friends I cannot express the happiness I will feel at seeing them again. Also just so you know I have pictures for you. Awesome, amazing, fantastic pictures that will wow and amaze you! Well at least I hope so. This will also hopefully be a little shorter than my last email.

Also just a note. I know the tone of my posts have changed or they should have. I have finally hit my stride here, I am so comfortable with who I am and I found my place. As some of the girl said I grew into myself here. I am sad that it took so long for me to find me and I have a goal in the future that anytime I am thrown into a new situation that I make the best effort to be myself from the start. I am happier, more approachable and more of who I truly am inside. I love who I am and I hate when people can't see the real me because lets admit it I am awesome right?? Ha just kidding but I do love myself in the I am confident way not the vain one.... :) I still have my ups and downs but there is something different and I am loving it. I might not be everyone's best friend but I have a place and I am loved for who I am. They might not know all of my life but I am definitely changed for the better. Ashley and I are closer than we have ever been and we both are loving it and we are so grateful for the opportunity to be down here together our relationship is a million times better. Anyways enough for my heart to heart... in an email, on to the real stuff. The stuff you want to hear.

So we went on this awesome 8 day trip to Chiapas. Some of the other people might argue that it was frustrating and horrible... which parts of it weren't the best or not what we wanted but I think they were all being a little bit dramatic. We ended up loving all the time we spent together and it made us grow closer. We also went on a jungle adventure almost 24/7 and who can say that is not fun?

Day 1/2: Stuck on the Bus/ Villahermosa

We had an 11 hour bus ride where we slept on a super small bus. We were stuck in the back on the smallest seats. This = no sleep. When we arrived in Villahermosa we were told that where we were going was amazing. Well... it was 99 degrees 74% humidity no air conditioning in the car, starving, tired and it was not so great. It was a zoo less than half the normal size and then had some ruins that we did not see by accident because we were misdirected. Oh but I have a hilarious video for you about me... getting chase by a bird. Just fair warning I was freaked out so I'm not exactly myself... :). We were in an aviary and a bird decided I was the person to attack and wouldn't leave me alone. Anyways that will come later. Then we went next door to the natural history museum also very small and basically paid 20 pesos just for air conditioning. That day we almost died from heat. Some people even joked that we were in hell on earth. Our hotel did not have AC just a fan that blew the hot air around. But, the good things were that we all bonded over our mutual feeling of being annoyed, we found awesome ice cream that we got 4 maybe 5 times? (what? it was super cheap), and we laughed when we went into department stores just to get a break from the heat. We slept very poorly that night.

Day 3: We left early in the morning the next day. Highlights of the day? We had a race to get chocolate muffins. We went to the agua blanca which felt amazing after the heat of Villahermosa. This place series of waterfalls that looked amazing and were tons of fun to play in. The water was so clear we could see all the way to the bottom of the pools everywhere. We got to hike around caves, go on an adventure through the jungle, and jump off waterfalls again. The caves were awesome and at one point we hiked through the caves with only an iphone flashlight for light (it was HILARIOUS yet scary, sometimes we held hands in a line like 5 year olds. We also have an on going list of things that would not be allowed in the States that are in Mexico) , then treked through the jungle, and then got to the rest of the caves through a hole the size of about the average skinny adult. You might have to wait on that picture but it was so small we didn't notice it when we first passed it without our tour guide, and didn't think a person would fit down there. We also had to figure our way from the opening back to the main cavern which was almost scary because at one point there was another narrow opening we almost missed and made us think we were stuck. But, we got out alive I promise. After we were done there we drove straight to Pelenque, Chiapas, (less humid, more of a small town feel like Tehuacan) got to our hotel,(we had air conditioning, the beds were amazing!) ate and went to bed.

Day 4: We went to ruins in the middle of the jungle that was part of a Mayan city. That was awesome and because of things they know about it, it sounds like it could be one of the cities in the Book of Mormon that the Lamanites occupied. Pictures will follow because I can't even explain how awesome they were. As well as the waterfalls at the end of the ruins. This was the beginning of the rainy days.

Day 4: We had to change plans because of the rain so we went to a frontier in the middle of nowhere. We were on the border of Guatemala and Mexico when we got on a boat that looked like the boats at Disneyland when you go on the jungle Safari except this was real life and it was awesome! We went on this boat ride to get to ruins in the middle of nowhere and they were pretty cool. We enjoyed mostly the time together and when we saw monkeys. We freaked out when we saw monkeys, like five year olds. Also I drank goats milk chocolate milk. It was gross but I paid for it so I chugged it. After we were done there we spent the rest of the day back on Pelenque.

The other things I can't really remember in order of days but... I will try to do less... though no guarantees.

We also went to other waterfalls in Chiapas, Chiapas I think? They are called agua azul but they were not blue because of the rain but they were still amazing. We also did not swim in that water even though usually you can. 

Another day we went to a place that in English is called Colon Lake. We stayed there all day and that was so much fun. The water was blue and clear another paradise found in Mexico. That day we also were able to jump off another waterfall and go inside a cave inside a waterfall that because of how it was formed you could climb up inside the cave, into the waterfall and come out on top of it.

We also went to the city of San Cristobal which is a fantastic city if you are an artist (music, & art type of artist) and like artsy stuff. There was music everywhere, in every restaurant  just randomly outside the street. There were also different parts of it that were super high class and one of the streets was also a wine tasting street as well. 

We spent one day in the city but the next day we went out of the city into the mountains of San Cristobal. Outside the city in the mountains you can rock climb  zipline and see more waterfalls. We were not able to do those things because we did not have very much time when we went because we were leaving back to Tehuacan but we did see the Mexican version of the Grand Canyon. I can't remember the name though.. and the bracelet for it does not say its name either. The difference though was that you see it by taking a tour down the river, and it is usually a vibrant green when it is not still kind of winter in Mexico. It was still astounding how high the walls were and we got to have a really nice boat ride. We also saw monkeys, many birds and a crocodile (alligator?) on this trip.

Thankfully we were able to sit in different seats on the bus ride home. Many of our bus rides were super long ( I left those out because they were BORING! but we had multiple and they were the worst part of the trip). This one took the cake as the saying goes. It dragged on for forever but it made us so grateful to be "home". Also three random notes. We got to stop by the temple in Chiapas. It was gorgeous  but it was closed and we did not have our recommends or church clothes so we couldn't have gone anyways but it was still an amazing experience. The other note is that there was this one family that we saw everywhere we went. Literally everywhere. We counted and we saw them 9 times not including repeats at the same places like the ruins. It was odd but awesome. When we finally talked to them they knew perfect English so we ended up talking and taking a picture with them. Last note is that I found my one true love his name is Pedro and he is a pizza boy. ;) (I'm just kidding for those of you who maybe had a heart attack). We found him at a Domino's in a city we stayed in. We have a video of our encounter with him and a picture. The video will follow later of his amazingness.

Anyways... I guess I should stop saying my emails will be shorter because... they never are when I plan them to be. Apparently I like to write or hear myself talk in my head. One of the two. I will write soon and pictures are coming I promise!

Love,

Becca



































No comments:

Post a Comment