You have wings to fly

You have wings to fly
Make Your Own Wings to fly

Thursday, April 4, 2013

March 1 - 10th 2013 Mexico

Hello from Mexico!

I'm just going to jump in and start writing. Also from Feb 24th on I just taught and it was the ususal so I didn't feel the need to add super details in the email. Also just a short note, remember how I said we were all taking Cumbia dancing classes? Teo,when we get good enough/ he decides, is going to film us dancing Cumbia so you might just get to see me dance it. It is tons of fun and I could dance it all day.

Friday: We taught today and just tried to have a fun friday. Greg was supposed to arrive this day but because of complications with his flights and the buses he was too late to catch the last bus to Tehuacan. We had thought he was going to arrive so we went to go get mamalitas (?) ( very delicious torillas with a ridge around the edge to keep in frijoles, salsa verde, and cheese) while we waited but then he called and told Ashley the bad news. So we ended up driving around in Edwins car after we ate the mamalitas and then went to Baylee's house and watched Edwin, Kelsey, and Robbie play FIFA until it was time to go home. Afterwards I just came straight home and went to bed.

Saturday: We all met up in the morning to get ready to go to a place outside of Tehuacan that Robbies Uncle owns.We had to pick up food as well as pizzas and a van so we could all get there. To describe it shortly it was an adventure getting everything we needed plus getting back to Robbie's house to leave in time. Teachers from the other program came with us as well as Robbie's family and it was tons of fun! There was a basketball court with goals to play soccer, a large building that could be used for multiple purposes, a swimming pool, amazing scenery and a playground in the back. We played basketball, soccer, and had tons of fun trying to get people into the pool/ just jumping in (even though it was freezing). It was fun and I enjoyed myself immensely. At the end it got a little boring because people started to pair off and it mostly just got awkward for me then because I don't know the guys as well as some of the girls/ they don't care/ lots of things, so when that started to happen I tried to make my own fun but when I couldn't do that anymore I was just ready to go and luckily so were they. We drove back to Robbie's/ Baylee's (one of the teachers, its her host family) and I was kind of just sick of being with the group for lots of reasons and decided to go home and just enjoy some time with my family. So, I walked back to my house (It's like 15-20 min away by walking) and unpacked, got a shower and then fell asleep. A little while later my family wanted to go out so I went out with them for dinner and enjoyed seeing more of Tehuacan with them. Afterwards I just came home and slept. 

Sunday: This day was Fast Sunday (a day where we fast for 2 meals, once a month) but I forgot to fast and I didn't go to church because my family really wanted me to come out with them that day so I said okay. We went out to breakfast at the same barbacoa resturant that we went to for our culture class so that was something awesome I was able to tell my family (in Mexico) about.We also spent some time at the park, took naps, got pizza, went grocery shopping, and watched a movie together as a family. We also ended up doing something later that night but I can't remember what it was.... Anyways after we did... whatever we did, came home and fell asleep.

Monday-Thursday: We taught, it was fun and we had our typical moments of oddness. It was nice to have Greg and to be able to meet him. I met him on Monday. He is really nice and he fits in well with our group which was one of our big worries about having a new person. Something I also like about him is that he talks to me whether he likes me just as a friend or more it doesn't matter to him which is nice and I have missed boys like that. He also tried to learn dancing which was entertaining and he has been doing everything with us which is good and means that he has bonded well with us. We also had a little meeting as part of one of our spiritual lessons where we talked about the people in our group and the good we saw in them, the things we admired and they added to the group. This made us all become closer together and there was such a difference in how we saw each other afterwards. It was amazing. Otherwise it was just typical dancing, teaching and soccer.

Friday: We went to some high school soccer, basketball and volleyball tournaments between the different Mexican states high schools at a free work out center in Tehuacan. The best sport that we saw played was soccer and by the boys. The girls were so bad it was kind of sad.. Once we got bored we decided to go to El Paseo and get lunch. After we ate we went back to the school so we were on time to teach. Teaching was the same but on Friday we went camping... again! This time we went to Robbie's family place that we went a couple of weeks ago? The one with the pool, basketball court, etc.?  Except camping. We ended up having to take a taxi this time. We had many little adventures while we were there. As the guys went to go get the firewood the girls hid from the guys up in this little area above the entrance and we took the ladder with us because we knew the guys would take it from us if we didn't. We were having fun up there because it was late and we were all slightly hyper... one of the girls that came with us, Carol, had hid down below and popped out before we did. We also realized, a little late, while up in our awesome/secret hiding spot that everyone down below spoke Spanish so when they all started speaking Spanish we were like crap now we don't know what they are talking about and if they are actually going to try and find us. They hadn't so far and they had firewood and were trying to start a fire. As we were voicing this fact Ashley said "They are boys. They want us too badly and they know they aren't going to have as much fun without us." I was a little doubtful and wanted to get down because it was stupid if they weren't going to come try and find us also I was getting bored a little bit... but we stayed up there and tried all sorts of ideas to get them to try and find us. Like trying to throw 50 centavos (like 50 cents except worth less and in one coin) at them, making odd noises, calling them you know the usual. The boys also had not been able to start the fire and Ashley had matches so we texted that to them to try and get them to find us. Well after sitting up there for a while, the guys had started the fire (Edwin had a lighter), they were breaking out the s'mores and Ashley realizes oh, they are warm, have chocolate and are enjoying themselves even without us so we all decided to get down. Also for the record it was really gorgeous up there. We did end up needing help so the boys came over to help, even if they did give us a heart attack because they started to take the ladder away for a second, but then brought it back and helped us down. Afterwards we made s'mores, played a little bit of soccer and then kind of split up and talked in our own little pairs of people talking. We had talked about playing a game like ultimate spoons but because no one decided on it then... it didn't happen. After a lot of talking and kind of doing our own thing we regrouped a little bit and went to bed. We slept outside, no tents! Just the pillows and blankets we had brought. It was pretty cold, but everyone slept in a line close to each other so it was a little warmer except for the people on the ends. I was one of the people on the ends! So I was a little cold a good part of the night but I still slept pretty well.

Saturday: I woke up a little earlier than everyone so I went to the back to swing on a swing. Baylee was back there to my suprise so we talked a little bit and I swung as we talked. It was good to just sit together and talk. The morning was beautiful, birds sang and the sun was so beautiful. Baylee left but I stayed there for a little while longer and just was thinking. When I heard everyone getting breakfast in the kitchen then I decided to go and join them. We had cereal, milk, bananas and Oreo's for breakfast. Then we packed up/ cleaned up for a little bit. Then it got really hot so we jumped into the pool even though it was freezing! We kind of mostly just played games to get into the pool. Usually the guys didn't push me in, pick me up etc. so I wasn't scared about anything happening until Greg picked me up and jumped with me into the pool! Which I was a little bit happy about because it sucks to be left out for no reason... other than the fact that the other guys don't flirt/seem to like you more than a friend or less that. It made me grateful that he did that even if he doesn't know that. After a while we finally left. We walked down to the nearest street and caught a combis back to Tehuacan. We then went our own separate ways. That afternoon/night I did laundry, slept, and then went out with my parents for dinner, watched The 4400 with them and then went to bed.

Sunday: Sunday was amazing! My family went out to breakfast with me because they were so happy I could take the time to have breakfast with them. Then we went to a park and played with my brothers until it was time to go to church. It was a regional broadcast for all of southern Mexico. Since they knew that we spoke English they made a special room for us with the Broadcast in English! A 70 called Ulisses Soares talked and then Sister Dalton, Elder Bednar, and Elder Richard G. Scott spoke. They all gave awesome talks and we were so grateful that it was in English. Afterwards we went to Marcelas family's house and had dinner. I also talked to her family in Spanish which was awesome and made me feel better about how my Spanish is doing. After being there for a couple of hours we went back to the house, I watched Santiago and my cousin Julio while my parents went shopping, and then I went to bed.

So that was my week through those dates. I have been so busy that this email has taken forever to write plus I also write a lot... which I know but I hope you are still enjoying the emails. I leave tonight for a trip to the beach so you will hear all about that next week! Or sometime soon hopefully. I also might have some pictures for you or one funny picture at the least. Anyways, until I write again!

Love,

Becca :)

No comments:

Post a Comment