You have wings to fly

You have wings to fly
Make Your Own Wings to fly

Friday, January 4, 2013

Mexico - Day One



Mexico is awesome! It is beautiful and it is just exciting to be here. I am a little nervous because the language makes communicating very hard. Also my host family has so far driven me everywhere so I do not know my way around the way that I would like. If I am able to get more information I may walk around more and maybe use the bus system otherwise I might just get around with where my host family is able to take me.

My family from what time I have spent with them are good people. They are more wealthy I think. I have my own bathroom and bedroom with a tv and dressers lots of stuff. They also have a washer and a dryer, a car and a motorcycle. The house itself is basically a house behind a garage. Its just a little smaller than my family's house in Massachusetts but because of the extra space around the house it feels bigger. They also have a cook and nanny/house cleaner. The Dad, Daniel knows some English but is not fluent he knows enough to communicate the basics and have a little bit of a conversation. He has been helping me work on my Spanish by telling me words or phrases in Spanish and then English which, I have been writing down. The Mom, Marcella does not know any English and does not talk to me and feels a little insecure around me because of that but she does say Hi and smile. They have two kids Santiago and Liam. Santiago is 6 and just barely started the program. He knows a little bit of English and occasionally helps out. Liam 1 years old. They are not as strictly traditional as most Mexican families have been described in training but they are very nice and very kind. Over the last day and a few hours I have spent with my family it has become easier to communicate.

Today for Breakfast I ate a plate of bananas, apples, and another fruit I did not know along with a sandwich made with turkey, cheese, lettuce, and Avocado  To drink I had water and a smoothie with some kind of pink fruit and wheat grass I think. After that Daniel's brother picked me up and took me to the school for training. We mostly toured the place and set up. Then we went on a tour of Tehuacan to try to be familiar with some of the places. We stopped for lunch at restaurant called "La Greca" with the ILP group and discovery group. I got Enchiladas verde con pollo ( enchilada with green sauce and chicken) and horchata Oxaxoquatica(?) it had some fruit and things in addition to being just horchata. Afterwards we went back to the school and had more training till about 7. Then my host family invited me to go out with them. I went to Santiago's Kung Foo class and then we went out for dinner.  For dinner we had la palonas which is kind of like a hamburger with chalupas and tostadas. They all had avocado  cheese, some kind of meat and something that looked like a carrot. Then we went to take Liam to the hospital for a shot and then we came home and I hung out with Santiago playing Star Wars 3 Legos. That was interesting because I did not understand one word he was saying to try and help me and everything on it was in Spanish. Tonight I also showed my host family my own family and told them who everyone was. Also just a note about the food. All of it definitely tasted different but I kept on eating because I could not decide if I liked it or not, or it was delicious. It is a little bit hard to adjust especially when you do not know the language, but I'm taking everything as it comes and doing my best. I have already learned so much it is amazing. Anyways I really need to sleep.

Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment